September 1st marks the start of Early Black Bear Season in Vermont, followed by many other hunting seasons throughout the fall. Hunting is allowed on all GMC owned and managed lands, including along the Long Trail and Appalachian Trail corridors in Vermont. Please be safe when you are hiking and be respectful of all trail users. The Green Mountain Club strongly encourages hikers to:
- Wear blaze orange clothing, visible from both the front and back.
- Avoid wearing brown or white, the colors of a deer.
- Be especially careful while hiking in valleys and near roads and trailheads.
- Avoid hiking during dawn and dusk due to low visibility.
- Please leave dogs at home. If you do bring a furry friend, dress your dog with bright bandanas or a blaze orange vest.
- Wave to make your presence known to hunters.
With the temperatures cooling and the leaves starting to change color, this is a wonderful time of year to go hiking in Vermont. It’s also a good time to refresh your safety awareness with regard to hunting season and general preparedness. A prepared hiker is a happy hiker! Have fun out there!