An End-to-Ender is someone who has hiked all 272 miles of the Long Trail, all at once in a thru-hike, or sometimes over the course of many years in a section hike. Preparation is an important part of any hike, so please read on for some frequently asked trip planning questions. Or, check out these resources:
- How to Thru-Hike the Long Trail
- Advice from End-to-Enders: part 1 and part 2
Become a Certified End-to-Ender
To be eligible for the Long Trail end-to-end certificate and patch, you must hike all 272 miles of the Long Trail. But how you do it is up to you: hike it in one trip, or in many. Hike it this year, or over many years. Hike northbound or southbound, or flip-flop through sections. More than 5,000 individuals have received their end-to-end certification. Applications and journals are archived in the Vermont Historical Society’s collections. Apply for your certificate online.
Apply Online for Certification
Complete and submit Long Trail End-to-End Certification Application to receive End-to-Ender benefits and recognition. Each applicant MUST submit their own application. End-to-End applications are processed twice each year:
- Submit your application online by October 1 to receive your certificate and patch in October.
- Submit your application online by March 1 to receive your certificate and patch in March.
- Timely submissions will be listed with End-to-Enders in the summer edition of the Long Trail News. Submissions made after the March deadline will appear in the following year’s LTN summer edition.
Or — Apply by Mail for Certification
Print and fill out the paper Long Trail End-to-End Certification Application. Each applicant MUST submit their own application. Mail applications to Green Mountain Club, End-to-End Certification, 4711 Waterbury-Stowe Road, Waterbury Center, Vermont 05677. End-to-End applications are processed twice each year:
- Mail your paper application by October 1 to receive your certificate and patch in October.
- Mail your paper application by March 1 to receive your certificate and patch in March.
- Timely submissions will be listed with End-to-Enders in the summer edition of the Long Trail News. Submissions postmarked after the March deadline will appear in the following year’s LTN summer edition.
Benefits for Certified End-to-Enders
- Complimentary one-year GMC membership (for first-time members only)
- End-to-End Certificate
- End-to-End rocker patch
- GMC logo patch
- Your name listed in the following summer’s Long Trail News!
Share Your Story with Us
We love to read your trail journal entries and view your photos. Your stories help us learn about what is happening on the trail. We may even share your photos in our print and online channels to educate and inspire others. Here are some ways you can share your story:
- Submit a typed journal entry — at or under 10 pages — to [email protected].
- Submit yours story online.
- Email your photos with a short description to [email protected], or tag us in your social posts: #HikeVT.