Cindy Griffith and Ira Sollace are list people. They tackle lists of peaks and trails to reach places they’ve never even heard of, like Cow Mountain. Cindy recently found that one on the NorthWoods Stewardship Center’s list of mountains in the Northeast Kingdom region of Vermont. The couple completed the NEK 20 in October of 2021.
Are you a list person?
Feeling inspired by Cindy and Ira’s accomplishment? Whether you’re looking to explore the peaks of the Northeast Kingdom or you’re wondering what else is around, check out the following lists and more at 4000footers.com to start planning your summer adventures.
Please note: trails above 2,500′ should be avoided until after mud season in late May. If you encounter muddy trails, please turn around and choose a dryer trail; if you cannot turn around, walk through the mud instead of around it.
- NEK Mountain Challenge (20)
- Side-to-Side List (88)
- Vermont’s 4,000-footers (5)
- Vermont Fire Tower Challenge (14)
- New Hampshire’s 4,000-footers (48)
- The Grid: Hike each of the 48 peaks 12 times (once per month)
- The NE67: All 4,000-footers in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine
- The New England 100 highest and 100 highest in winter
- 52 with a View: 52 New England peaks under 4,000 feet
- Adirondack High Peaks (46)
- Adirondack/Catskill Fire Tower Challenge (Hike 23 of 28 Towers)
- U.S. Highpoints (51 – the highest point in every state, plus DC)
This post first appeared in the Spring 2022 edition of the Long Trail News under the headline “Exploring New Trails with the NEK Mountain Challenge.”
Leave a Reply