We are accepting applications for the 2021 Field Season on a rolling basis.
The Long Trail Patrol was established in 1931 as the official trail crew of the Green Mountain Club and has been a staple of our field staff ever since. The focus of the crew is to work on heavily used and damaged sections of trail throughout Vermont that require intensive trail repairs. Our LTP crews build staircases, bridges, waterbars, stepping stones, puncheon, and tread ladders, to name just a few examples. They work hard, have fun, and forge lasting friendships.
Crews consist of four to five crew members and one Crew Leader. Crews work Monday through Friday in the field in all weather (except blizzards). Monday through Thursday nights crews camp near their work sites and share a communal camp kitchen, as well as camp chores. LTP members provide their own personal camping gear and food. The GMC provides transportation to the work site, personal protective equipment, tools, and some group equipment (stove, cook-ware, first-aid supplies). Communal day-off housing is available in Waterbury Center or Danby, VT based on project locations.
2021 Position Dates:
Full Season: May 31st – October 15th
Summer Season: May 31st – August 13th
Fall Season: August 9th – October 15th
Commitment to full season preferred.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, camping at work site Monday – Thursday nights
Compensation: $480/week, plus housing for days off
Supervisor: Long Trail Patrol Crew Leader, Field Assistant
LTP Crew Member Responsibilities:
- Complete trail maintenance and construction projects on hiking trails throughout Vermont as part of 4- or 5-person crew.
- Use trail tools in accordance with GMC safety protocol and comply with personal protective equipment requirements at all times.
- Perform weekly cleaning and maintenance of trail tools and camp gear.
- Share equal responsibilities in camp duties such as cooking, cleaning, and food storage.
- Maintain high standards of work in a range of weather conditions, including adverse conditions.
- Work in a professional and respectful manner with crew leader and fellow crew members.
- Utilize Leave No Trace practices while working and in camp.
- Serve as a backcountry representative of the GMC in interactions with the public as well as through behavior and backcountry practices.
- Assist with Monday morning group cleaning of Back Forty.
LTP Crew Member Qualifications
- Trail building and maintenance skills preferred (training provided during orientation)
- Experience with hand tools and basic power tools
- Ability to perform difficult manual labor and to carry heavy loads as a regular part of the workday
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work well as a member of a small group
- Strong backcountry living skills
- Experience working in small groups on focused projects
- Friendly and professional attitude towards hiking public
- Knowledge of Leave No Trace principles preferred (training provided during orientation)
- Wilderness First Aid Certification (class available free-of-charge during orientation)
To apply use link below:
Return to Seasonal Jobs Overview